People often mistakenly believe that creating marketing ad campaigns, developing an effective sales pitch to lure customers, and attending day-to-day meetings with investors are the only tasks performed by marketing managers. The reality, however, is a bit different.
While all the above-mentioned tasks are the responsibility of a marketing manager, there are hundreds of other things that he has to deal with on daily basis.
Owing to the discrepancy in reality and imagination, marketing project management tips proposed by various platforms cater to a very narrow portion of the market.
These marketing project management tips are mainly aimed at gaining popularity through clout, either in the form of a famous actress modeling for the campaign, an esteemed personality showing their support for the project, exaggerated search engine optimization, etc.
While all of the aforementioned marketing project management tips work for the most part, sometimes an inappropriate strategy can backfire and tick the public off since marketing projects are more than fashionable ads.
A marketing project can be as small as a 350-500 word SEO blog published in under an hour or a full-scale digital campaign spanning a year. The scale of marketing projects can vary according to the scope of the project. The complexity of marketing projects is often difficult to handle because marketing project managers have tons of tasks on their hands.
What Is Marketing Project Management?
Unlike project management, marketing project management is a detailed process wherein teams are efficiently managed so that they can develop effective marketing campaigns for the business.
Tasks are delegated to team members and thorough instructions are provided so that each member can produce optimal results without any hiccups and bring results to the table.
The process relies on exhaustive planning, working, and completion of tasks, to make sure that projects are completed efficiently, and goals are accomplished on time. The proper implementation of marketing project management strategies can produce successful results for the company.
What Is The Role Of A Marketing Manager In Marketing Project Management?
The role of a marketing manager is slightly different from a regular manager in terms of their area of work. Marketing managers are directly linked to the consumers, so their projects cater to the general public.
Moreover, they incorporate research and use data to develop marketing strategies.
Their main role is to devise marketing campaigns with their team that can help attract customers and compel them to buy their services and goods.
On top of developing effective marketing strategies, marketing managers have to manage a whole team as well. In that capacity, they have to make sure that:
- Tasks are delegated properly
- Projects are completed without any hiccups
- Marketing campaigns are in line with the latest trends
- The content of the project is inoffensive and unobjectionable
- Team members accomplish the targeted goals
- The sales pitch targets consumers’ preferences
Along with these things, they also have to keep an eye on the previous records to frame new strategies that will produce more fruitful results. Furthermore, they also predict the future of the organization and the results obtained from the marketing strategies implemented.
All in all, marketing project management is a rigorous process that demands much more than perceived.
As we mentioned earlier, marketing managers have tons of workload, and managing a team is one of their most important tasks. Marketing project planning requires teamwork and making sure that all the team members are on the same page is the responsibility of a marketing manager.
Marketing project managers must organize marketing projects in such a way so that all the team members are in harmony and the execution of the project is impeccable.
Effective Marketing Project Management Tips
The marketing project management process seems like one requiring godly powers. But we are here to rescue you!
We have compiled a list of the best, most effective marketing project planning tips that will help you ace the marketing project management process, and you will love the outcome.
Without further ado, let’s dive straight in!
1. Define The Goals Of The Marketing Project Management Process From The Get-go
Identifying the goals of a project is the first thing, no matter what the project is or what the organization is. Clearly defining the aims of the project can help you garner better results. A survey revealed that marketers who set goals are 376% more likely to report success.
The definitive goals will make sure that the team members understand the underlying fundamentals and the requirements of the project.
Examples of goals can include:
- Generating more leads on the official website
- Social media marketing to gain more followers
- Creating awareness among the masses
- Gaining more subscribers
- Retaining old clients
The division of the project must reflect the targeted goals. While defining goals, make sure:
- The goals are fewer in number so that the team can focus on one thing at a time and produce efficient results
- To create SMART goals that are, goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound. The development of such goals will make the process smooth and quick.
- Your team understands these goals since they are the ones who’ll contribute to the accomplishment of these goals
2. Breakdown Your Project Into Smaller Deliverables
One of the most effective marketing project management tips is the division of a project into smaller chunks. You might stray from the track if you choose to work on the project as a whole. It can be a mess and quite inefficient.
Organize marketing projects into small tasks that can be performed by individual team members.
To organize marketing project effectively:
- Divide the project into tasks
- Prioritize tasks in the order of completion
- Allocate a specific status to all the tasks i.e., not started, in-process, in review, and completed
- Assign each task to a specific individual
- Set deadlines for the completion of each task
- Track the performance of your team members
- Provide consistent feedback
- Schedule meetings whenever necessary
If you structure your project properly, you are more likely to accomplish the goals at a quicker pace and with better results.
3. Analyze Your Resources
The third of our marketing project management tips is the proper analysis of resources before moving ahead with the implementation of the plan.
Marketing projects are susceptible to change. There are often sudden changes in a client’s requirements, overnight changes in marketing trends, etc. Keeping in view the flexibility of the project, marketing managers should employ proper resources ahead of time.
They should make sure that along with their workforce, the project is financially doable and does not require inaccessible tools.
Before you start with a project:
- Identify the budget required to complete the task
- Make sure you have all the necessary tools
- Your team members are skilled enough to complete the job efficiently without any gaps
Once you have sorted out your resources, you will be able to accomplish the goals much more easily and without and hiccups.
4. Involve Your Team In The Planning Process
Remember, marketing projects are not the effort of a single individual. They require considerable hard work from the whole team. Since your team will be the one working on the project, you should keep them on board in the marketing project planning process.
They will be the ones performing the tasks so their involvement will help in better planning. They will help you efficiently organize the project so that you can make the most out of it. Who knows they might even provide valuable ideas for better marketing?
5. Define The Requirements Of The Project
Before starting with a project, make sure that you clearly understand the requirements of the project. You should be clear on what your audience wants.
To get a clearer idea, think from the perspective of a consumer and analyze the requirements. Once you have clearly identified the requirements, you will be able to stay focused and complete your project more efficiently than ever.
The requirements should also be related to the team members so that they can also be engaged in the process. Examples of requirements can include:
- Quick completion and delivery of tasks
- Maintain high quality of the deliverables
- Optimize the resources to produce better results
These will help you in the long run and will be beneficial for you in multiple ways.
6. Use Marketing Project Management Process
You might find it a bit troublesome to manage your projects without any groundwork. To make this simpler and easier, you can employ the use of a marketing project management process.
The marketing project management process is a five-phase procedure that can help you in the efficient completion of your project. These phases are:
- Initiation: Identify the vision of the project, and what you want to accomplish by undertaking the project.
- Planning: Determine the goals of the project.
- Execution: Once you have created a plan of action, implement the plan with a kick-off meeting in the beginning.
- Monitoring and control: Track the progress of the project. Identify and resolve issues, if any.
- Project close: Evaluate the success of the project and analyze the performance of the team members.
7. Use The Agile Approach
Agile project management is a better approach when it comes to project management. The agile methodology relies on fast and efficient working. In this method of project management, projects are broken down into smaller chunks and the chunks are constantly improved before they are sent to the next phase.
To utilize this approach, you can divide your project into sprints and then review the work delivered at the end of a sprint. Depending on the quality of the work, you can move the work to the next phase or optimize it to improve its quality.
Agile methodology allows teams to stay updated on the latest developments in the market and helps them plan, execute, and improve strategies for better marketing.
8. Communicate And Collaborate
Communication is the key to success, and that is why communication and collaboration have landed on our list of the best marketing project management tips.
You cannot work with a team unless you communicate with the members regularly. Any gap or hiccup in the aspect can have disastrous implications. Effective and immediate communication with your team members will assure them of your support and help you review their performance.
Also, make sure that all the members are engaged in the process and regularly update you about the status of their work. This way you will be able to help them if they encounter an issue and keep an eye on their progress.
9. Use Project Management Tools
One of the most effective and the most successful marketing project management tips is the use of a project management tool. Project management tools make sure that the execution of the project is impeccable and help you identify the success of the project during the different phases of the process.
A project management tool offers multiple features that simplify the process for you. One such tool is nTask. nTask is a featureful management tool that can help you ace the marketing project management process. You can manage marketing projects by:
- Dividing the project into smaller tasks
- Setting a deadline, start, and end date
- Delegating a resource to the task
- Visualize the performance of each member via Kanban boards or Gantt charts
- Track time and generate timesheets
- Identify and resolve issues as they arise
- Conduct meetings with your team members
The scope of project management tools has greatly increased in the past few years and continues to do so. The results obtained are also up to the mark and are one of the reasons 76% of executives say agile project management tools will be the new normal.
Try the best project management app.
Manage teams, tasks, projects, and docs all in one place. Sign up today!
The 9 marketing project management tips listed above are some of the best ones. If you want immediate and efficient results then, you have all the ingredients you need.
So, what are you waiting for? Employ these strategies now and see the results for yourself!