Time tracking is an important part of any business.
It not only ensures that the workforce is using their time most productively, but it also helps with various budgeting & billing factors.
Many organizations have therefore turned to time tracking tools for better productivity.
A time tracking software is designed to let individuals and businesses to keep tabs on how long it takes workers to perform tasks.
One such software that has been adopted by many is RescueTime, RescueTime is a user-friendly time tracking and distraction blocking software, and therefore is a preferred choice for many organizations.
However, no tool is perfect, and with changing times, and greater options available in the market, companies are looking for RescueTime alternatives that will meet their specific needs.
So, if you are one of those organizations looking to switch from RescueTime, or if you are new in the market looking for a time tracking software best suited for you, you have come to the right place.
So, let’s get to it!
But first, why don’t we take a closer look at why you may need to look for an alternative to RescueTime.
Why Look for An Alternative to RescueTime ?
RescueTime does not claim to be an employee monitoring software but is a time tracking and distraction blocking software that provides complete control of the tool to its user.
The software allows automatic time tracking while also giving you the option to create detailed and comprehensive reports without manual labor.
RescueTime is available to use starting from $6.50/month.
You can also subscribe to their team plan which costs $6/user, per month. The app offers a free 14-day trial so you can see whether the software is right for you before you commit to using it.
However, the software also has some setbacks. Although it is a great time tracker, users have reportedly found that the tool is not ideal for task tracking.
In addition, there is a lack of payroll features as well as options to integrate to many other popular tools.
Other than this there are also other shortcomings of the software that users have noted such as:
- Customization is limited
- Recategorizing activities is difficult and hard to follow
- There is a lack of detail in RescueTime’s reporting
Now that you know what to expect from RescueTime, here are some apps like RescueTime to consider looking into.
The Best RescueTime Alternatives
The first software on our list is nTask. nTask is primarily a project management software but provides features for task management and time tracking.
The software allows you to stay on top of work you need to get done while providing you with tools to manage your time better with time tracking software that is built around your needs.
- Planning and Budgeting features
- Manage and keep track of all non-billable resources, tasks, and initiatives within project settings
- Automated reminders straight to your inbox notify you when your projects and initiatives are nearing budget depletion
- Flexible provisioning for T&M costs allows you to enjoy flexibility in billing by the hour for each resource.
- Track your projects, tasks, meetings, and timesheets all in a single platform
- Automatic web timer
- Track and manage tasks on the go with nTask’s mobile app
- Manually update and track time for your team to help you make entries as per your task needs
- Time Reports
- One-click timesheet report submission allows your team to remotely submit timesheets to respective project managers
- Reduce bottlenecks by allowing your team to manually send timesheets for approval
- Your teams will have the ability to rectify for any errors they make by withdrawing timesheets and correcting said errors
- Have the ability to integrate and share timesheets by converging with other tools
- Connect all your third-party apps to nTask with Zapier integrations to stay on one page
- Your team will have the ability to easily email timesheets to streamline processes
- nTask is also coming out with a feature that will allow you to print or save with PDF, thus allowing you to let your admin work roll smoothly
- Access nTask’s Basic plan for free and take advantage of
- Issues tracking
- Unlimited tasks
- Unlimited workspaces
- Limit of 5 members per team
- 100 MB storage
- With nTask’s Premium plan for $3 per month, you can get access to
- Everything provided in the basic plan, plus
- 5 GB storage
- Bulk Actions
- Custom filters
- The Business plan for $8 per month, offers the following
- Everything provided in the premium plan, plus
- 10 GB storage
- Save custom filters
- Risk management
- Custom roles and permissions
- Or you could choose to opt for nTask’s Enterprise plan which is customized according to your team
- Everything in business, plus
- Custom onboarding
- Dedicated account manager
nTask is one of the best RescueTime Alternative.
Manage all your tasks, projects, meetings, timesheets and more in one place. Sign up today!
- Get Started for Free
The next software on our list is Tick. Tick is a time management software that incorporates communication features so that your team can work together efficiently.
Moreover, with Tick’s time tracking, you can track your time against your budget thus making it not only good for your schedule but also resource management.
Tick also offers Basecamp integration to allow you to streamline your whole project.
- With Tick, you enter your worked time on timecards
- Once you have created a timecard, you can add notes, as well as use reporting
- With Tick, you have to option of multiple timers while being in-built into the software for easy time tracking
- You can also avail instant budget feedbacks that allows for employees to see the project and task’s budget. This gives an overview of how much work is left to be done and what resources are left to accomplish it.
- Time tracking is also easy on the go, as you can integrate on different devices.
- 1 project plan for free
- 10 project’s plan for $19 per month
- 30 project’s plan for $49 per month
- 60 project’s plan for $79 per month
- Unlimited project’s plan for $149 per month
We have included Toggl on our list as it is a great time tracking and employee timesheet software, that also integrates with different project management systems.
Toggl has a user-friendly interface with simple and easy to use features that allow onboarding seamless and a breeze.
- One-click timers
- Tracking reminders allow you to never forget to track your progress
- With integration options, Toggl is a great alternative to RescueTime, since it allows your time tracking to become part of your workflow
- You can also enter time manually
- You can also assign billable rates according to the time you log in
- You can track on the go, with Toggl’s ability to sync up devices
- Access for free
- Starter plan for $10 per user per month
- A premium plan for $20 per user per month
- Customizable enterprise plan to suit your needs
16 Best Timesheet Software for Employee Time Tracking in 2020
Launched by Staff.com in 2012, TimeDoctor is a time tracking software that covers time tracking and employee monitoring.
With TimeDoctor you will have an automated tool for time tracking that allows you to generate timesheets while also helping you visualize your progress and productivity with reports.
The software lets you track time automatically, workers can click a ‘start timer’ button which will allow the tool to track how your workers are spending time on any particular task.
- You can create timesheets and you also have the option for payroll setup
- The software allows you to view screenshots to determine real-time progress
- TimeDoctor also creates daily as well as weekly reports, with the option to receive employee engagement breakdown in detail
- TimeDoctor even allows you to monitor progress while offline
- Distraction alerts let you know when you are getting distracted and keep you on track
- The software can also take screenshots of employees’ computer screens as well as track mouse and keyboard activity levels
- Use TimeDoctor for $7/month, per user with their basic plan
- Alternatively, you can access more features with the Standard Plan for $10/ month, per user
- You can also go for the Premium plan for $20/month, per user
Another app like RescueTime is Harvest. Harvest is a user-friendly, and simple to use time tracking software.
The software provides employees with the ability to log their work time effectively. Moreover, with Harvest, you have the benefit of features that allow for fast invoicing and expense tracking.
- Harvest creates timesheets and can convert the data into a more understandable summary
- The software also provides intuitive reports
- Billable time can be created into invoices, that you can then send to clients, streamlining the whole billing process
- With Harvest, you can easily track time and expenses, for scheduling and budgeting ease
- Harvest offers a free plan for 1 person and 2 projects
- You can also opt for the pro plan which is for $12/person, per month
TimeCamp is the next on our list for an alternative to RescueTime. The software allows for automatic and invisible time tracking when an employee is either using office space or office hardware that is owned by the company.
TimeCamp combines all the features you would want of a time tracking software, including screenshot, website, and application monitoring all encompassed in a single platform.
Although it should be noted that the application does not make any distinction between manually added time and time that is tracked live and therefore there may be a question of accuracy.
- Allows for monitoring through screenshots
- You can track time even if offline with TimeCamp’s offline monitoring support
- With the software, you can automatically track time as well as the attendance of your employees
- Powerful integrations with project management tools
- You can access TimeCamp features for a basic plan for $5.25/user, per month billed annually
- Pro plan for $7.50/user, per month when billed annually
- You can also customize TimeCamp to fit your custom needs, this plan comes at a minimum of $10/user
Get more apps like TimeCamp:
11 Best TimeCamp Alternatives (2022 Review)
TSheets is a software that allows you to track time from any device and was created with the specific aim of being able to time track on the go.
Therefore, if you are looking for software for your remote team, field sales, or support teams, TSheets is for you.
- GPS tracking allows for real-time tracking
- Scheduling options allow for employers to update and publish schedules which are then visible to employees from their devices
- Alerts and notifications remind and update both employers and workers of time tracking
- With TSheets you can customize reports according to your needs
- With Geofencing features, you can get time updates upon location
- Time clock kiosk with biometric facial recognition allows for accountability and attendance of employees
- Elite plan for $10/user, per month
- A premium plan for $8/user, per month
TimeSheets.com is a simple timesheets tool that lets you track time both automatically or choose to do so by manually inputting time.
With TimeSheets.com you have features that allow you to integrate expense tracking, you have scheduling tools as well as HR tools.
- Security features for your convenience
- Time clock for payroll
- Flexible time entry options
- GPS time tracking
- Allows for time tracking for billing and job costing calculations
- Photo timestamps allow for you to save a photo of an employee with every timestamp
- com provides a freelancer plan which is free of cost
- You can also opt for the standard plan which costs $4.50/user, per month
- Or there is also a non-profit plan for $3.60/user, per month
Hubstaff is the next software on our list being a time tracking software that focuses mainly on time tracking and employee monitoring.
Hubstaff can easily integrate with your current software and being an automatic timesheet tool that makes employee payment simple.
- Online reports allow you to optimize your company’s performance
- Time tracking through automated timesheets allow you to easily invoice clients as well as pay employees
- Geofencing allows you to never forget to update time with automated start and stop time tracking according to when your team physically gets to work
- You can also easily create payrolls
- Online reports let you optimize your company’s performance
- Track holiday requests and time-off requests all with the Hubstaff software
- Single users have the option to use Hubstaff for free
- Hubstaff also offers a basic plan for $7/user, per month
- A premium plan for $10/user, per month
- Enterprise plan for $20/user, per month
Clockify is a great time tracking software that is the next alternative on our list for RescueTime.
Clockify is a time tracking and timesheets app that allows you and your employees to track work hours during different projects.
- Clockify offers the option to track time using a stopwatch or enter time manually
- You can create timesheets to have all hours logged in one location
- You can also create reports for a detailed view of the progress and productivity of your team
- The software works across different devices thus allowing you to track time on the go
- Dashboards allow you to have an overview of where time is being used and see what your team is up to
- Clockify is a software that is free of charge for you to use and simply requires you to sign up
Everhour is a great tool that allows you to track time right from your web browser and does not require any desktop installation.
The software is great for project management and allows you to create custom projects and tasks before you start your time tracking for any particular day.
With Everhour you have a team-focused application and thus the tool is great for increased productivity in terms of teamwork.
- Everhour gives you the ability to set and track time estimates
- The software also supports manual time tracking
- You also have multiple invoicing and billing options to choose from
- Notifications allow you to track time effectively
- Fully-fledged time tracking for small teams and freelancers is free for up to 5 users
- Everhour also offers a basic plan for $5/user, per month, for a minimum of 5 users
- You can also consider the enterprise plan which caters to individual approaches and custom solutions.
TMetric is another software that you should consider as it allows you to track your time easily and accurately thus allowing you to focus on more pressing matters while taking this task off your shoulders.
- Time tracking with a timer or option to enter time manually
- Idle detectors
- Option to bulk edit time entries for more accurate recordings
- There is also an offline mode available in the software
- Tracks website and apps usage
- Creates detailed reports of the data collected
- You can also integrate with other applications to keep your workflow streamlined
- TMetric offers a free plan for up to 5 users
- A professional plan offers features for $5/month, per user
- Business plan for $7/month, per user
We have included ClickTime on our list because it is a great time tracking solution that allows companies to track time in a billable form while also monitoring employee progress.
ClickTime is also aimed at improving productivity through the features that it offers.
- Time tracking is simplified with timesheets
- You can integrate ClickTime with other project management tools
- You have the option to require timesheet approvals
- Payroll integration ability
- Advanced project reporting features allow you to know whether a project is progressing according to your plan and your budget
- Starter plan for $12/user, per month when billed monthly
- Team plan for $16/user, per month when billed monthly
- Premier plan for $28/user, per month when billed monthly
- You also have the option for an enterprise plan that you can customize according to your needs
Paymo is a project management software that integrates time tracking features making it the next software on our list.
With Paymo you get a comprehensive overview of your team’s performance by streamlining project management, time billing, and work reporting all in a single platform.
- Paymo allows you to track the time taken to complete a task by providing an option to start and stop an in-built clock in the platform
- Multiple time entries can be added into one screen
- Employees can log the time taken on a given task
- Paymo allows you to track everything an employee does on a computer and link entries with other ongoing projects
- Through Paymo’s desktop application, you can also track working time
- Paymo offers a plan for small offices at $11.95/month, per user when billed monthly
- You can also avail the business plan for $18.95/month, per user when billed monthly
Learn more apps like Paymo:
Top 7 Paymo Alternatives to Use in 2022
15. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects provides time tracking but also project management, the app is focused on project-oriented teams and provides features all in a centralized platform.
Zoho has multiple software solutions for different needs but for the purposes of this list we will focus on Zoho Projects and it’s time tracking solution.
- Timesheets allow for billing, determining a project’s progress as well as identifying bottlenecks
- Zoho projects give your team members the option to track hours and log onto timesheets
- With features such as comparative planning, you can compare estimated and actual time spent by your team on specific tasks
- The calendar in Zoho projects allows you to see future tasks, milestones, and even bugs
- You can also convert timesheets into invoices with the invoice integration feature
- Free plan
- The standard plan for $3/user, per month when billed monthly
- Express plan for $4/month, per user when billed monthly
- Premium plan $5/month, per user when billed monthly
- Enterprise plan $6/user, per month when billed monthly
The next software that we selected for our list is Ayoa. Ayoa is a task management app that has an aim to improve creativity at work while simultaneously also improving productivity.
The software provides time tracking facilities while also enhancing communication between employees and workers.
Ayoa also allows you to visualize your team’s work and lets you follow how your tasks are progressing.
- Gantt timeline view
- Visual task management
- Mind mapping
- Real-time collaboration
- Ability to track performance
- You also have the ability to manage priorities
- Instant messaging
- Restrictions and security options
- Ayoa also provides the ability to integrate with other software
- Time tracking
- A basic plan for free
- Pro plan is for $10 per month
- The ultimate plan costs $13 per month
- A customizable enterprise plan is available
17. Hour Tracker
Hour Tracker is an application that allows you to keep track of your work hours.
The app is user-friendly and allows you the ability to access even when offline, thus not requiring an internet connection to check-in or out.
The app, however, does not sync to any cloud or web service with all the data being stored on your device, this could be problematic for some especially since data could be lost in case of uninstalling.
- Notifications ensure that you never forget to clock in
- You could also take advantage of Hour Tracker’s location features which will automatically record your time entries upon arrival.
- You can create filters to keep your app organized according to the tags you create.
- Hour Tracker can also alert you when you are done for the day, simply by setting an expected number of hours
- Streamlined time entry
- Flexible export options
- You can download the application for free, with the option to choose from in-app purchases to avail further features
18. Instant- Website Time Tracker
This software automatically tracks the time you spend on the Website and your Mac. Instant is specifically for iOS.
Instant is a menu bar application that lets you track your time and view your productive and unproductive time.
- The ability to track time spent in apps
- You can access weekly and monthly graphs
- With Instant, you can track your daily time spent on your websites from your Menubar
- You can also gain insight into your working patterns by getting information on the productive and unproductive time you spend
- You can download the application for $3.99
Staff.com is software for time tracking specifically aimed at remote teams and co-located teams.
Staff.com is a time-tracking platform that helps your business with features such as productivity analytics, employee behavior, insights, and automated time-used data.
- Track the hours worked each day, week, or month
- You can analyze your working trends for your company
- View when your employees are actively using their computers and when they are on break
- Create productivity ratings according to what you consider to be productive, unproductive, or neutral.
- You can also record screenshots of employee computers at intervals that you specify
- Use Staff.com for growing teams at $10/month for your first user
- For larger teams from 50-10,000 users, you can contact the provider for pricing
- Also, if you wish to host the software on your server you should contact the provider for yearly pricing
ZoomShift is a software that is aimed at shift work and specializes in scheduling and time tracking.
ZoomShift works online but also provides the option to download the app for Android or iOS.
This software is a great solution if you are looking to simplify your coverage management and handle payroll for teams that work different schedules each week.
Retailers or employers at bars and restaurants love the app for its ability to help address some of the common payroll issues in shift work.
- Track employee time from your phone
- Track GPS
- Prevent timesheet errors
- Run payroll simply and quickly
- Automatic clock in reminders
- Create employee schedules
- Improve staff accountability
- Track time from anywhere
- Starter plans for $2.50/active member, per month when billed monthly
- A premium plan for $5/active team member, per month when billed monthly
- Custom enterprise plan available
21. Timely Time Tracker
Next up on our list for RescueTime alternatives is Timely Time Tracking. Timely Time Tracking is an automatic time tracking software aimed at freelancers and teams.
With Timely you can create accurate timesheets, and capture billable hours in a single platform.
- Monitor team performance against key metrics
- Include billable percentage and capacity in your monitoring
- Customizable tagging systems let you see where your team spends its time
- Identify unsustainable workloads and overworked employees
- Track GPS locations
- Automate your timesheets
- Small companies plan for $49/month if billed monthly
- Medium companies can use the plan for $199/month if billed monthly
- Large companies can use $499/month if billed monthly
- Custom enterprise plans available
22. Paychex Flex
Paychex Flex is a solution for all things HR, including payroll, time and attendance, and more.
Paychex Flex allows your organization to reduce the risks and complexities associated with running your own payroll. The software creates greater accuracy with up-to-date tax rates as well as regulatory information.
- Flexible online timekeeping
- Dashboards for managers and employees
- Multiple punch options
- Time and attendance integration
- Iris recognition time clock
- Starting at $60/pay period
Monday.com is a project management tool where teams can work more efficiently and deliver project outcomes on time, while also provide time tracking features.
A favorite among project managers, Monday.com is a user-friendly software that is easy to implement into the day to day activities of project management.
- Ability to switch timers on and off or enter time manually
- Manage your projects and track time all in one app
- com’s mobile app allows for time tracking even on the go
- Flexible reports allow you to see time data as you wish
- The software also provides the ability to be integrated with other tools
- The basic plan for $8 per month per user
- The standard plan for $10 per month per user
- Pro plan for $16 per month per user
- Customizable enterprise plan
ManicTime is a desktop solution that helps you manage your time while tracking work and away time.
ManicTime uses Auto-Tagging features that allow you to specify which programs and websites are work-related and which are “browsing”.
The software is great for individual freelancers or contractors that wish to bill by the hour. The tool is also beneficial for tracking multiple clients.
- Automatic tracking
- Can track time also while offline
- Easy timesheets
- Company-wide reports
- Ability to integrate with other systems
- You can access ManicTime for free
- You can also choose the pro option for $67 for one license
Pentazemin is an app that is for task shooting and helps keep the focus on time management and to-do management.
The software combines To-Do management with the Pomodoro technique.
- Time management in the menu bar
- Archive tasks and view them in analyze mode
- To keep from getting distracted you can choose to only display current and next task
- Contact provider for pricing
ActivTrak may be a name less heard off, but if you haven’t tried this program as a RescueTime alternative, then you should!
It is a unique time tracking solution for professional businesses and companies. Users can set admin-level access and privileges to block employees from accessing certain websites, setup time tracking logs for a specific time of the day, and much more.
ActivTrak also has a manual time vs. real-time tracker to assist admins with payroll generation at the end of each pay cycle. The program has a variety of invisible functions that continue to work in the background 24/7.
- Set-up invisible monitoring for employees.
- Automated and manual time tracking.
- Capture screenshots and videos for future reference.
- Supports web, mobile, and desktop time tracking.
- Classify websites and activities as productive vs. non-productive.
- Block unwanted websites for company employees.
- Free for up to 3 users.
- ActivTrak paid plans start at $7.20 per user/ per month.
While we did our research and narrowed down the list of the top software that would be a great option as an alternative to RescueTime, some tools did not make the cut but are still worth mentioning and worth you considering.
Therefore, here are our honorary mentions for good apps like RescueTime:
- Qbserve is an automatic private time tracker that allows all the tracked information to be stored privately on a user’s device.
- Clockodo is a time tracking software aimed at providing for small and medium-sized companies.
- Timeneye is a user-friendly time tracking software that syncs with Basecamp or Redbooth, allowing you to track time automatically.
It’s over to you now. We handpicked these tools in hopes of boosting productivity at your end.
If you have a personal favorite program that’s not mentioned on the list, feel free to reach out to us. We love to write extensions to our listicles for sharing insight on the coolest applications on the internet.
Leave a Reply